Life in Wine

Just what the Title says! Life in Wine. MY Life in Wine.

Name:
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States

Opinionated. Lover of Wine.

Friday, August 12, 2005

The Reign in Spain

Sum-sum-summertime

Still "under the weather." Still soulsick in this unrelenting swampy Kansas City heat. Nothing unusual in it, but not much to like, either. It's gone on long enough that I was starting to reach for more white wine, reds seeming too. . . I dunno, warm, thick, HOT . . . but whites just don't trip my taste trigger like reds. They're refreshing, yes -- and another tip o' the winetaster hat to the consistently good Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand's Marlboro County -- they're refreshing, and tasty on their own, without food, whereas reds seem to need food accompaniments to come alive -- but anyway, good old Costco had a bin of Rioja Crianza that caught my eye.

And am I glad it did. I picked up a bottle of El Coto Rioja Crianza 2001, even though I don't often reach for Spanish wines. Don't know much about 'em. . . This one, however, is made solely from Tempranillo grapes, and that's a grape I like. With pizza, for sure -- and with BLTs, as I just discovered. My gosh, what a GREAT summer supper: fresh tomatoes, bacon, lettuce, mayo on good wheat bread, with an ear of corn on the side. And a big whoppin' glass of the El Coto. Happy mouth!

Andie's tip on this wine: Let it breathe. She claims it tasted better the second glass.

Rioja lesson of the day: I just read this online, "Rioja is to Spain what Chianti is to Italy." Hmm. At first, when I read this, I thought, "Oh." Like I understood it. Because Italy is known for Chianti, and Chianti is seemingly ubiquitous -- so that must mean that Rioja is the big common wine of Spain; but then I thought, "Well dang, I don't LIKE or TRUST most plain old Chiantis. Chianti Classicos, sure. But there are a boatload of bad Chiantis out there. . . " Come to think of it, maybe that's what it meant. Widely available, and wildly inconsistent.

Here's the little I know: Riojas are blended from a number of grapes (which isn't true of Chiantis, which as far as I know are basically made from the Sangiovese grape). The primary Rioja grape, though, is Tempranillo, which has a nice spicy red cherry flavor to it. "Crianza" means the Rioja has been aged for three years before being released. If it's been aged four years, it's called a "reserva," and if it's aged six years, "gran reserva." My Spanish is pitiful, so forgive me if I butchered that. In any case, the Crianzas are more affordable, having been aged for a shorter period of time -- but I PREFER them to the reservas, because they're. . . fresher, I think is the word I'm looking for. More fruit forward. Young and summery.

The El Coto Rioja Crianza 2001 has won awards, I see. Well, AN award, anyway: a silver medal in an international competition. More importantly to me, it wins the Winetaster Summer Sippin' Award. Go fix a BLT, cool this baby for 45 minutes in the fridge, pop it open, and enjoy. It's only ten bucks.

I'm heading back to Costco for more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant blog! It's a great public service you do to enable a pregnant woman to live vicariously. I toast you (albeit with mineral water)!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home