Life in Wine

Just what the Title says! Life in Wine. MY Life in Wine.

Name:
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States

Opinionated. Lover of Wine.

Monday, January 10, 2005

The King-Sized Diaper

In what I hope is not a preview of my own dotage, I now sleep under a diaper (on my king-sized mattress) composed of two tablecloths sewn together by my domestic goddess, she of the copper hair and Woody Woodpecker laugh. The tablecloths are green, a nice touch to match the eyes of Brandyn, the reason for the creative diaper. Along with her chronic kidney failure, my 20-year-old companion is exhibiting signs of incontinence, mostly when her geriatric shrunken little frame is sound asleep at night. In short, my baby is starting to wet the bed.

I change my bedding enough, thank you very much. Andie's supersized diaper saves me much time and frustration: A wet spot? Whisk off the top coverlet, toss it in the wash, wipe down the vinyl urine-catcher, toss on a new top cover, et voila! Fresh diaper, fresh bed, happy sleepers.

The Pookster and I slept very well last night. She was happily drowsy after chowing down on her late dinner, Salmon Surprise, delivered by me from the Andie manse in Waldo South. I was replete with dinner and the Lindemann's Reserve 2003 Shiraz, rated a respectable 89 points by Wine Spectator. Not as distinctive as the Milton Park 2002 Shiraz, but plummy and pleasant. Worth the sale price of $10, though I'm not sure I'd pay the full $13.99 it usually fetches. For that, I could snag another bottle of the Banfi Chianti Classico 2000. And a note of warning: the lower-priced regular Lindemann's Shiraz isn't worth the $7 it costs. You're better off with the reds from Rosemount if you're looking for decent quaffs under $10. Still, the Lindemann's Semillon/Chardonnay is always good. Go for the cheaper Australian whites, is what I'm sayin', not the reds.

I was crushed to find that Costco didn't have any more of the Simi 2001 Landslide Cabernet Sauvignon, by all accounts a massive wine, and a steal at $24. Osco on Wornall has it for $29, and it's worth every penny, according to the resident wine freak. Costco looked to be low on most offerings in the wine department, perhaps a result of the recent holidays; or, more likely, the long-lasting ice storm hangover. People flock to Costco to stock up when there's warning of bitter weather. Most of my own Sunday Costco run had to do with refilling the pet larder, as both dogs and cats were running low on grub. The Costco Kirkland brand is excellent, and less than 40 cents a pound. Winetaster's shopping tip o' the week. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home